After removing the head plumbing and the head itself, it was time to remove the holding tank too. The location of the holding tank is underneath the starboard side of the V-Berth, up in the bow of the sailboat. Previously, when I was removing the plumbing from the head, I had already disconnected the hoses from the holding tank.
I removed the bunk bottom boards and began unfastening the bunk timbers that lay over the holding tank.
After the bunk timbers were removed, I carefully lifted the holding tank up out of its perch, and rested it on the V-berth bunk surface. I NEEDED to be careful because there was still some “liquid material” sloshing around in the tank!
Of course, I just had to spill some “goo” out of the tank…… I frantically ran for my garden hose and dragged the working end up the ladder and into the cockpit of the boat. I began spraying down the soiled area only to notice that the port cockpit drain was NOT working! I checked the thru-hull’s valve handle and it said that it was “Open”, but it was also frozen solid and I couldn’t budge it! I was in a real mess now, because I had previously removed the starboard cockpit drain and “dirty water” was now making its way out of the cockpit and into the bilge area.
I scampered back down the ladder and grabbed a “star drill”, (Used for pounding holes in concrete.), and a hammer, and I drove that star drill up through the port cockpit drain from outside the hull. Finally, water found its way out of the cockpit the proper way!