September 13, 2015
Before I could install the new floor timbers I have been making, I needed to see what was going on with the frames that the new floor timbers would be “glued and screwed” to. To do this, I had to remove the ancient paint that had been brushed on to frame timbers way back in 1968. I tried removing the paint with a heat gun and a scraper, as well as a, conventional paint stripper too. But, I didn’t really have much luck lifting the layers of paint away from the surface of the wood.
Finally, success came in the form of a custom made tip I made from a piece of “reworked” 1/2″ copper water pipe, and slipping that over the nozzle end of a propane torch.
I donned my Full Face Respirator with fresh organic cartridges……
……and went to town “melting” and scraping paint of off the frame and chine log timbers.
Tadah! Eight hours later…….. I had a section done!
And in accomplishing this, I made a discovery that necessitated me to have to drop back and regroup my thoughts; rethinking what exactly I needed to do next with this project.